Benefits of Individual Therapy for Opioid Abuse
Those struggling with an addiction to opioids must overcome more than just their physical reliance on substances. They must also confront and deal with the emotional components of addiction. Addiction goes beyond the simple act of consuming a substance, as there are numerous emotional components intertwined into addiction as a whole. By incorporating individual therapy into a patient’s comprehensive treatment plan, he or she is given the opportunity to face the root causes of addiction and gain the skills required to achieve and maintain long-term sobriety.
Individual therapy is a treatment method that allows patients the opportunity to work with a counselor one-on-one in order to work through an addiction to prescription medications, morphine, or heroin. The benefits of individual therapy include, but are not limited to:
- Recognizing past traumatic events that may have contributed to the abuse of opioids in the first place.
- Developing new viewpoints in relation to the underlying causes of abuse and addiction.
- Creating new techniques to cope with stress and negative feelings without the use of opioids.
- Handling setbacks and/or successes during the course of treatment.
- Creating plans for how to handle any future situations in which the use of substances may be tempting.
- Forming personal goals for both the present and the future.
By providing patients with a safe environment in which to understand and process their feelings, behaviors, and emotions, they will be able to gain a deeper understanding of what caused their addiction, as well as how to prepare for a future that does not include the use of opioids and other addictive substances. Individual therapy also allows patients the chance to engage in a therapeutic and safe relationship with a counselor.
Building a Foundation for Opioid Abuse Recovery
In addition to the previously mentioned benefits, patients who participate in individual therapy as a part of their treatment process will also experience the following:
- An increase in self-confidence
- An improvement in their self-esteem
- A reduction in stress levels
- An increased sense of self-awareness
These benefits can help patients build a solid foundation on which to move forward in the recovery process and maintain long-term sobriety.
The dedicated team at West Virginia Comprehensive Treatment Centers believe that individual therapy is an imperative intervention to be incorporated within a comprehensive treatment approach for long-term recovery from an addiction to morphine, heroin, and/or prescription painkillers. Providing patients the space to openly process their emotions within a safe environment allows individuals the chance to progress their turmoil safely and effectively. Our dedicated counselors can also monitor the progression of patients throughout treatment and address any concerns that may arise while a patient is receiving care.
If you or someone you love is struggling with an addiction to opioids, please contact one of the compassionate intake experts at West Virginia Comprehensive Treatment Centers to learn more about individual therapy and the other treatment options available within our medication assisted treatment program.